Ayurveda is an ancient Hindu system of medicine based on the idea that we can achieve balance in our lives through the breath, diet, and the use of certain herbal solutions. Today, it’s still used by the majority of those living in India, and is considered a form of alternative medicine in the western world.
What’s unique about Ayurveda is that it categorizes people according to three basic “types,” called doshas. These are based on the five elements (air, space, fire, earth, and water), and have to do with certain physical and mental characteristics.
When you discover your type, you gain insight into how you react to the world. You also discover where your body may be vulnerable to weakness and disease, what your mental strengths are, and even the unique ways your skin behaves.
And, it turns out, knowing your dosha can help you take care of your skin and deal with problems.
Kapha (Water and Earth)
You have a solid or powerful, large build. You tend to gain weight easily. Your skin is smooth and moist with few wrinkles, and you have thick or wavy hair. You tend to move slowly, but you have a lot of endurance. Easy-going and relaxed, you are affectionate and loving and don’t often get angry. You like to sleep and often sleep in too long. You have an excellent memory and are often the calm one in the room. You are tolerant and forgiving, and devoted to your family. You are not easily upset, but under stress, can become stubborn, lazy, and depressed. Others tend to lean on you.
Remember that you may have dominant traits of two types, in which you experience a combination of attributes. You may display qualities of both, or alternate between them.
Using Your Dosha to Get Beautiful Skin
How can you use your dosha type to care for your skin? In Ayurvedic medicine, it’s all about balance, so if your skin is dry, you balance it with moisture.
Try the following tips. If you are a combination of two doshas, use the tips from both and tailor them to your skin’s unique makeup.
Kapha Skin Care Characteristics
Few to no wrinkles for you! You have smooth, moist skin, but that means you may also have large pores and oiliness. Prone to oily skin, blocked pores, and dull or pale skin. You may also have puffy eyes, and suffer from rashes.
You are normal to oily.
Tips for Kaphas
- Make sure you thoroughly clean your skin, especially at night before bed. Never go to bed with your makeup on. Think about your pores!
- Resist the temptation to overly dry your skin, as that will cause a rebound oily effect. Instead, choose gentle cleansers and alternate for deep cleaning and exfoliation.
- Choose moisturizers that are light but nourishing. Look for invigorating herbs like rosemary, yarrow, peppermint, geranium, citrus (lemon and orange), and sesame.
- Avoid fried foods and rich desserts, and limit red meat and other fatty foods. Your skin may look better if you cut back on dairy foods.
- Enjoy spicy foods! Energize yourself and your skin with more garlic, turmeric, ginger, chili, apple cider vinegar, and fenugreek.
- You would benefit from juicing—combing veggies and fruits in a blender and have with or instead of a meal once a day. Herbal teas also work as great pick-me-ups.
- Make sure you’re getting enough exercise every day—at least 30 minutes. Look for energetic activities like running, swimming, or competitive sports. Use upbeat music to motivate yourself. Realize that you can get stuck in a rut, so maybe try something new?
KAPHA CLARIFYING TONER:
This Clarifying Toner is specially-formulated for your unique skin type and is a potent blend of Organic Ayurvedic Herbs & Floral Waters. It is a floral bath for the face! Its Kapha-Pacifying qualities will help to revive and invigorate. Use as a daily Toner, nightly Makeup Remover, a Floral Mist, or mix with your chosen Ubtan to make a mask just for you.
Kapha toner for oily skin, use to gently remove traces of cleanser & any trapped dirt, oil & make-up. This revitalizing blend, formulated with Lemon Balm & Tea Tree, stimulates circulation, tightens pores & purifies congested, oily skin.
At Ayurbeauty we will be happy to assist you for the correct treatment for your skin. You can find your Kapha Clarifying Toner with us and more products for your skincare.
For appointments text us through WhatsApp at 407.617.9016