Swedana is a steam treatment explained in Ayurvedic medical science. The word Sweda is derived from Sanskrit swid, meaning ‘to sweat or to perspire’. So swedana is the process of inducing sweat with the help of steam, generated from medicated herbal decoctions. It is the pre-operative procedure in various Ayurvedic detox therapies where the objective is to dilate the channels of the body to detach the toxins from the tissues. Ayurvedic fomentation is usually given after an oil massage.
There are many different varities of Swedana. Some of them are as follows:
- Bashpa Sweda: The fomentation is done by making the person to sit in the chamber where steam emanates from boiling herbal decoction.
- Naadi Sweda: Naadi sweda is penetrating heat. It is a more penetrating type of wet heat than Bashpa Sweda. This is given to whole body, using a tube; importance is given to thick and complex structures of joints.
Procedure: Oil should be applied gently on the body. Herbs are selected depending on the condition and doshic predominance. Eyes are covered by tying a cloth around the eyes; the head is covered using a wet cotton pad as Ayurveda strongly believes the eyes and head should be protected from over heat. Treatment is continued till the forehead and abdomen sweat very well. After the completion of procedure person has to take shower with hot water. Food which is warm, unctuous and light is given after one hour of sudation.
- Balances Vata and Kapha humors in the body
- Detaches toxins; expels them through the tiny pores of the skin along with sweat
- Increases circulation; reduces inflammation
- Revitalizes and rejuvenates the skin
- Improves digestion
- Removes stupor
- Acts on fat tissues
- Relieves stress
- Eases sore muscles
- Reduces numbness, stiffness, rigidity, heaviness; improves mobility
Swedana is indicated in-
- Motor Neuron Disorders
- Low back ache
- Asthma and cough
- Chronic constipation
This therapy is extremely beneficial for relieving excess doshas from the body and establishing a state of balance. It also provides relief from muscles aches and pains, removes any blockages of channels of the body, rejuvenates the skin and detoxifies the body.
Let us introduce you into the world of Ayurveda with Swedana Therapy. ¡Visit us soon!
For appointments text us through WhatsApp at 407.617.9016