Udvartana is a treatment in Ayurveda in which specially prepared herbal paste or herbal powder is massaged over the body. It is a treatment used to support weight loss or detoxification programs.
What is Udvartana?
In Sanskrit the word Udvartana means “to move something in an upward direction”. This refers to the upward direction of the strokes used during the massage. The brisk massage techniques combined with the penetrating herbs creates heat in the body to help liquify toxins, reduce fluid retention and increase circulation.
There are two types of Udvartana, and the ingredients used vary according to the condition:
Snigdha Udvartana – Ayurvedic Paste Massage
This treatment begins by massaging warm herbalised oils into the body to prepare the skin for the herbal paste application. The heated herbal paste is then applied to the body with fast upward massage strokes.
Ruksha Udvartana – Ayurvedic Powder Massage
The heated herbal powder is applied to the body with fast upward massage strokes. As this is a dry massage, herbal oil isn’t applied during the treatment.
Depending on the purpose of the Udvartana treatment it can be followed with a herbal steam to increase the detoxification benefits. Ayurvedic herbal medicine and diet modifications may also be prescribed.
- People on a weight loss or detoxification program
- People who are physically inactive
- Sluggish circulation and digestion
- Musculoskeletal and neuromuscular pain
- Conditions of stagnation, coldness and stiffness
- Aids the body’s elimination of wastes and toxins
- Helps with weight loss
- Stimulates the circulatory and lymphatic systems
- Exfoliates and conditions the skin and enhances skin tone.
- Increases the tone and strength of muscles
- Improves mobility of the joints and limbs
- Reduces Vata and Kapha
Let us introduce you into the world of Ayurveda with Udvartana Massage. ¡Visit us soon!
For appointments text us through WhatsApp at 407.617.9016