Swedish Massage therapy is the most well-known and widely practiced type of therapeutic massage—and for good reason. Swedish massage focuses on muscle relaxation, targeting superficial muscles (rather than the connective tissues targeted in deep-tissue massage) and increasing blood circulation.
Wondering if you should make an appointment for a Swedish massage? Check out some of the benefits below to learn why a Swedish massage might be a great choice for you.
- Pain management. If you have conditions like sciatica or osteoarthritis or are suffering from chronic pain, Swedish massage can be an effective method for managing it. Notify your massage therapist about your pain points, they can target those areas using techniques like friction, effleurage and petrissage to improve circulation and reduce muscle tension.
- Increased blood flow. Effleurage – a long, stroking motion in the direction of the heart helps open up your blood vessels and increase your blood flow. Increased blood flow means that your muscles are getting more nutrients and oxygen and that your body is removing toxins more efficiently.
- Rehabilitation for muscle injuries. Your Therapist should also rely on kneading and friction to address any existing injuries, such as adhesions (which occur when muscle tissues fuse together). Many people say that this technique, which relaxes layers of muscle, makes it feel as if the Massage Therapist is “working out the knots.”
- Increased flexibility. When your muscles are more relaxed, you’re able to experience a wider range of motion. A combination of Swedish massage and regular stretching is a great way for anyone to stave off workout-related injuries and get the most out of their periods of exercise.
- Reduced stress. Swedish massages are meant to maximize relaxation. You’ll be on a massage table, in a peaceful environment, with a trained professional spending an extended time (between 60 – 120 minutes) giving you a massage. The combination of the hands-on attention and the environment should relax you, lowering the level of the stress hormone cortisol in your body. Reducing stress offers a surprising number of additional benefits, including reducing or eliminating tension headaches, giving you more energy and allowing you to get a better night’s sleep.
- Improved immune system. One other great benefit of reducing your stress with a Swedish massage is that the lower cortisol levels allow your immune system to grow stronger, meaning that you’re less likely to get sick and can spend more time doing the things you enjoy.
Swedish massage is a great way to treat yourself—but it’s much more than that. The physical and mental health benefits of a Swedish massage make it a great option for those new to massage or someone looking to a complete massage experience.
FOR APPOINTMENTS TEXT US THROUGH WHATSAPP AT 407.617.9016